Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fascinated By "Chilly"


I'm amazed at the quality of photos I am able to snap with my camera phone. This is one of a series of shots that I felt compelled to take the other morning on my way into work. It was the first significant frost of the season for my neck of the woods--higher elevations away from Lake Superior had already had a few nights of frost. It was, once again, breathtaking. The sun was shining and the frost was sparkling on the grasses and shrubs.

I posted these pictures to Facebook and was amazed at the amount of comments that included words like "chilly" or "brrrrr" or "cold." I don't think I was even wearing a jacket this particular morning.

I am very acclimated to living up here. Thirteen years ago I would come up for visits in late October or November and still be running around in shorts and a sweatshirt. My friend Matt who essentially grew up up here would just scowl..."You were born to live up here..." he'd mutter.

Earlier this year I jumped out of the shower one morning, put my wet hair back into a ponytail and through on some blue jeans. I went outside to sit on my porch. I sat in the hammock chair and sipped some coffee. It was glorious.

Bright sun, birds singing, bare feet--I was loving it. I looked up and the thermometer said it was 46 degrees! I put on a t-shirt because I felt guilty feeling so comfortable with wet hair and no clothes in weather that some would consider winter like.

Many many people up here complain about the weather. The summers are too short. The snow lasts forever. The snow is too deep. The snow...the snow...the snow. I've been told that as you get older it gets harder to cope. I hope that isn't universal.

How frustrating to be in an environment that makes you unhappy. I know how I feel when we have those few really hot days in the summer (hot for me is anything above 80 degrees - really hot is above 90). This past summer I think we had 2 really hot days and only a handful of hot. When the weather gets like that I feel trapped. I can't imagine feeling like that for 6-8 months of the year. Peace.

No comments: