Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What's On Your Refrigerator?

"You could tell a lot about a person from their fridge magnets, not that he'd thought much about them at the time." Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake

So what do you have on your refrigerator? Not everything shows up in this snapshot. There's a Jesus magnet in which he appears more Middle Eastern in his coloring; a homemade birthday card there on the left from my little buddy, Claude; Ren and Stimpy; Betty Boop; the Serenity Prayer from some mail solicitation I received years ago; the Mutt's comic strip in which each panel says, "Good day for a nap!"

We choose our clothes carefully to make a statement (even if the statement is to try and not look like we have chosen our clothes to make a statement). Here is one place in the American home that is more private. Only invited guests will see this display. What does your fridge say about you?

Peace.

7 comments:

stillriverpotter said...

Our fridge doesn't hold magnets... It's a blessing, I think. No fridge clutter! We do have magnetic poetry on the wall though... Now sometimes that says A LOT about the members in this household. And sometimes it gets "interesting"...

"Dream beneath perfect yet simple desire" and "winter paints cold dark change for sweet time" are currently posted...

Kirkepiscatoid said...

I am happy that your fridge is as cluttered as mine: Most of my magnets are local businesses and vendors at work; but they hold up things like my call schedule, my church lector/prayers/acolyte schedule, and an Episcopal church year calendar.

RENZ said...

My magnetic words are from Amnesty International and say things like, "Better to light one candle than to curse the darkness" or "Incite Hope"

not as cool as that quote about winter, Gayle, well, cool in a different way.

Kate said...

Not too many magnets but I have one for Wicked up, one that says "Latte is just a french word for expensive coffee" and one I love - just a few of the lines follow:
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching.

David G. said...

Thank God for Stainless Steel,..keep things clean and simple in this cluttered house.

Anonymous said...

Photos of (some of) those I love...
many of my current dog, his "cousins" (family members' dogs), and even a few of my late furry friends; photos of family (especially the great nieces and nephew); my stepsons; and a few dear friends (the people-kind). The photos are held up by a variety of magnets: actual magnetic photo holders, a brass-dipped aspen leaf; one that says, "Eductions: let it begin with me;" Another says, "Life is short; dance often;" and yet another, "I Think, Therefore I'm Dangerous;" And a hand-painted one that says "I love you, Dad," from one of Dale's sons. Those photos are pretty orderly in how they are arranged.
However, if you look at the side of the fridge by the cupboard, you'll see a hodgepodge of business magnets holding up business cards for people such as the massage therapist, the local health food store, the temperature to cook a take-and-bake-pizza, etc. That's where the clutter is!
Carolyn Mason

gramma lee said...

My fridge is full and I don't consider any of it clutter. I have our parents as young kids, our kids, our grandkids, and pets. I have magnets from trips that bring back happy memories. Oh yes, and I have "art work" created by the little grandkids. It's the happiest part of my kitchen from top to bottom.