Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend Company


This past weekend was the annual U.P. 200 & Midnight Run sled dog races. Teams take off from downtown Marquette and follow the Lake Superior shoreline east to Grand Marais, Michigan, and back over the three day weekend.

My sister and my friend, Lisa, both came to town to watch this wonderful event. Sadly our weather hit sixty degrees last Wednesday so we had an enormous melt off of the snow. In the end, the organizers cut the race short due to a lack of snow on the trail.

Fortunately we were able to view the start on Friday night and had a front window table at the Irish pub where we chowed down on some great food and watched the teams go by.

The picture at right is of my vet, Tim Hunt, from a number of years ago. He raced again this year but I don't know how he did. He has also raced in the Iditarod and served as a race vet as well.

The remainder of the weekend was spent hanging out in front of a raging fire in the wood stove/fireplace. Eating lots and lots of local good food and getting caught up on rest.

Today I went to the neurology appointment ready to push for a referral to Mayo Clinic. I was heard and for starters will be having a large battery of blood tests this week and we will take it from there. They are not against the idea of referring me though, which is good.

I continue to have incrementally worsening neuropathy symptoms in my hands/arms & feet/legs. The NP started talking about aqua therapy but then said she'd like to know what was going on first before initiating that. My response was "exactly." I don't know if I should be pushing aggressive exercise or what. When I walk, the stiffness and pain worsens.

I am continuing to look for a change in jobs and think I have made a decision. I will share more when and if it becomes official. Eliminating job stress can only help my overall health.

No comments: