Friday, February 25, 2011

Man's Best Friend

In a little over twelve hours, the rescue operation will begin. Skittles will be picked up at her home of many years that she has shared with her human companion, Olga, tomorrow morning. Fortunately dogs see and understand things very differently than we do. We understand how sad her leaving will be. In the coming months, when she dreams - yes, dogs dream, ask anyone who has a dog - I believe she will continue to romp with Olga in her dreams.

As the day progresses she will no doubt have moments of anxiety. However, she will be traveling in her own crate, lying on a blanket that is saturated with smells of Olga and home. She will be in the company of loving human companions and another lucky dog, Max, on his way to his forever home.

In Ypsilanti she will say goodbye to Max, but will be blessed with the company of Marci's two boys, Riley and Evan, who are so excited to be involved in this rescue. They will keep her company on the drive to Battle Creek.

The earlier plan was for them to bring Skittles to Saginaw. However, that would have required me to drive six hours, pick up the dog, and drive six more hours back - across the Upper Peninsula, exhausted, on two lane in the middle of no where. Not to mention the incredible frustration of finally getting to see one of my best friends from high school for the first time in nearly thirty years, as well as her family, for only a matter of minutes. (I hope to get myself down state for a proper visit in the coming months.)
I was fully prepared to do this when my dad suggested that he and my mom get involved. Not only did this save me the potentially dangerous twelve hour drive, but it allowed for Skittles to interact with another rescue dog in a nice quiet home with a large yard to romp in before coming up north to join my pack. Skittles will say good bye to the boys then in Battle Creek and say hello to Winston, my folks' beautiful rescued Airedale terrier for the last leg of Saturday's journey ending outside of Chicago.
Fran just posted a comment below in which she learned that Annette went to high school with another blogger friend of hers. She comments eloquently on how small the world is in many ways when we begin to look for the connections. The miracle of Skittles is working it's power. I posted a few weeks ago about joy and commented on how long it had been since I experienced true joy - well, I'm experiencing it now, all for the love heaped upon one little dog.
As I say every day at the top of the blog, the world is not a place but the vastness of the soul.
Peace.

3 comments:

Janis Bland said...

Such a blessing this! Keep posting progress.

Fran said...

I'm just sitting here weeping. It is all so beautiful and moving to me.

It is about the vastness of the soul.

Lindy said...

Skittles has a big adventure in store! Thanks for the details, Larry. I am loving following this little pup. I really needed something to feel optimistic about this week, and this has got me doing the dance of joy (almost.) Keep up posted!