Monday, February 28, 2011

Speaking To The Dogs...

Alright. I admit that I fancy myself somewhat of a dog whisperer. My secret is to remember to think like a dog and not assume the dog is thinking like a person. It sounds simple, but those little critters are so dang smart it is easy to start assuming they think like you and I do. What we forget is that we think within a very broad cultural human context. We react to our environment and process things according to our past, our expected future, and all the meanings that we have ascribed to things along the way. Dogs are much more simple in how they think.

I am blogging on this topic tonight because there is an interesting drama unfolding on Facebook concerning Skittles and her temporary stay at my parents' house. In the end, my dad offered to meet Marci and her family in Battle Creek and bring her home until he can bring her up here himself. We discussed the benefits of this plan - primarily it saved me from a long twelve hour drive late at night last weekend - but we also decided it would be good for Ms. Skittles. She could decompress in a nice quiet home with only one other dog, a very quiet and gentle Airedale, also a rescue.

Skittles has responded very well to this plan. Once in my dad's vehicle, he let her roam free as she chose. She migrated back and forth between her crate and the area between the seats sniffing my dad's dangling hand. Eventually she jumped up on the passenger seat.

Once in Western Springs, my mom met them in the front yard with Winston. The neighbor across the street came running over - mind you this was around midnight - she was so excited to see Skittles. All went well and they moved into the house. They placed Skittles' crate in their bedroom and settled in to sleep. It wasn't long before Skittles decided to join them all in their kingsized bed where she slept at my dad's side.

I will let my dad words speak for himself:

"As I sat on the edge of the bed, Skit jumped up onto the bed behind me. As I lay down and put my hands behind my head, she cuddled into my right arm pit and made herself comfortable. She then burrowed under the covers until only her butt was out. I think I need to get her North soon before she steals our hearts." (Facebook Status Update 2/28/11 07:00 AM EST)

"At about 5:45 am, I headed down to the garage door to leave for my bus routes. Skit followed me down to the door as if she were going with me. I told her to stay, that she couldn't come along. When Lee got up around 8:15 am, she began to look for Skit. She found her patiently sitting by the garage door. I REALLY think I need to get her North soon before she steals our hearts." (Facebook Status Update 2/28/11 12:00 PM EST)

I shared those posts a little while ago and the comments have been very interesting. Some people are saying it's too late, she's bonded with my dad and clearly loves him and she must stay down there. My dad called me all worried too and suggested he meet me in Green Bay tomorrow to hand her off - he too was worried that she was getting too attached.

All of this is evidence of projecting human ways of thinking onto a smart and well adjusted dog. I told my dad that I wanted them to keep her down there a little while if it was ok with my mom and him both. I also requested that when he does bring her up, either as planned in three weeks or sooner, that he be able to stay for a few days.

Olga and Fran were forced to board Skittles at her vet's for about two weeks before her rescue. No doubt she was well cared for physically, but emotionally it had to be a challenge. She was separated from her Olga and placed in a restricted area for most of the time. I'm sure they let her run around when they could, but it was all very chaotic with no one person that Skittles could look to as Olga-substitute.

Dogs are happiest when they can please their caregiver/Alpha. They also thrive on routine. Bill Maher who I normally love went off on dogs and dog owners one night. His comment was that we think our dogs love us so much but if you took a dog away and gave it to someone else the dog would bond to that next person - thereby disproving the love we claim. Once again, this is ascribing human values and thoughts to a dog.

I have heard that the average German Shepherd has the intelligence of a human five year old minus the language skills. Think about how intelligent that is - so I drop it down a notch and say most dogs are as intelligent as a human three year old minus the verbal skills. If we took a three year old away from his or her parents and gave him or her to a new set of parents who met all the child's needs guess what? He or she would transfer her love to the new parents. So, Bill, does that mean that a toddler's love isn't valid?

Anyway. Skittles' behavior with my dad is very normal. She has been starved for her Olga and my dad is serving that role for now. My mom commented on how much she has bonded and I suggested that perhaps Olga was a large woman with a mustache (sorry, Dad). Honestly though, my mom and Winston have the primary bond in the house so it is very appropriate that Skittles would gravitate to my dad - as her first contact to the family and logically where she senses there's an open slot in the household.

She needs this time with my dad to decompress from her weeks in the vet without her Alpha. Winston will be a lovely playmate to get her used to not being the only dog in the house. They have a nice back yard to chase squirrels and rabbits together. My dad told me she has found the basket of dog toys and is starting to play.

In three weeks, they will travel together to her forever home and meet her new siblings. It is important that my dad bring her and stay for awhile to make the best transition. Yes, we could do a quick hand off in Green Bay and she would do fine no doubt. However, the best answer is to have a gradual transition where she can sleep with my pop and get to know me and the pack.

I have no doubt she will whine and be confused when he leaves. This will last as long as it takes her to understand that I am her new Alpha and I will make sure she is fed and warm and safe and loved.

For me the bond that exists between our two species is as close to God love as I am able to get, so you can imagine how ecstatic I get when I'm lying in bed with the dogs AND the cats and they are "kissing" each other and taking turns getting love and cuddles from me. Three species all trusting and being with each other!

The love that has been heaped upon this little dog over the past week and throughout the day on Saturday - literally global in scope - is astounding. More than one person commented on how it was such a bad news week that Skittles' story was uplifting.

I decided to post information about White Paws German Shepherd Rescue so that those of you who had desired to help but were hampered geographically can make a small donation of thanks. According to Kathy S. who coordinated the GSR chain that Skittles was able to piggy back onto, there is a rescue shepherd in need of surgery and she suggested that donations could be made to that fund. Here is the link.

I will also attempt to post a few photos below this post of Skittles' adventure. Many, many thanks to Annette, Marci, Mark, Riley, Evan, and my mom and dad. Peace.

1 comment:

Fran said...

It is me Fran, I am at work and not posting from my typical id.

What a beautiful post and what an important reminder that we as humans love to project ourselves all over the beautiful creatures.

But they are not us.

I add thanks to Doris, a friend of Olga's, who handled the hand off to Annette on Saturday. I am sad that I did not get to see Skittle-dogger (as Erica often called her) off. I am grateful that she is where she is and that she will be where she will be!!

So much love to all, so much gratitude. Peace!

Especially to you Larry - who opened my mind and heart to a journey that sounded great but impossible. Days later - it is reality.