Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"There Are Places I Remember..."


(taken from my porch today)

I have blogged before in my belief that we are constantly creating our image. That the various consumer choices we make are mainly concerned with an image we hold in our mind’s eye of who we are, who we wish to be, how we wish to be seen by the world. I have suggested that even in an attempt to not be brand conscious or image conscious we are still polishing a projected image.

And so I sit here sipping my coffee in my home on a sunny cold February day, pondering the image that I cherish and wondering what it says about my self.

It is a glorious day. The sun is shining brightly casting a new look on the snow worn landscape. This is a second day of rest following a rather grueling week at work. I actually feel rested. I sit here on the sleeper loveseat in my back parlor, sunshine lounging over my shoulder. Abby Cat has taken up residence in my Lazy Boy recliner thus forcing this new perspective on the room.

I am wearing lounge pants, a gift from my mom for Christmas, a t-shirt, and my Mr. Rogers, smoky blue, lambs wool cardigan with missing button and cat fur. My pain isn’t so bad today - it really seems to correlate with how damp it is outside and today must be rather dry at 9 degrees F. The computer is on my lap and I examine my foot resting across my knee. The foot is calloused with numerous small varicose veins between the ankle bone and heel. It is no longer the foot of a young man, looking more and more like my father’s worn aged feet. The skin on my hands is clearly losing its youthful elasticity, liver spots are forming.

The house itself, this log cabin in the woods, is very quiet. The dogs make their grunts and whines, their nails clicking on the tile. The furnace fan quietly whirs in the background. The silence is medicinal.

This is an image that I craft for myself. Portly middle aged intellectual wannabe. Mussed hair. Tortoise shell glasses with a retro feel. Books everywhere. Animals in abundance. Sipping coffee and catching up on my back issues of The Nation. Unvacuumed carpet. Unwashed dishes. Unmade bed. Undusted furniture. As I putter today I feel nothing so much as contentment.

I will have company in another week or so for the U.P. 200 Sled Dog Race weekend. That requires me to periodically interject chores into my routine. Wash some dishes, clean the toilet, sweep the floor. With a purpose to motivate me these chores are also part of the contentment. I will have visitors to my milieu, witnesses to my carefully crafted image, an acknowledgement by the world of who I am.

In the midst of all this was a recognition that I might lose it all one day and that thought gave me a moment’s pause. Like most of middle America I am but a few paychecks away from financial ruin. As a single individual, a devastating illness will leave me homeless. I have no spouse’s income to fall back on. In this brave new world we live in even a hospital will terminate you after you have used up your twelve weeks of protected medical leave. At that point we are “protected” by COBRA - yet how is an unemployed individual to make those payments? And so in a matter of months, all this could disappear.

For many of us it already has disappeared. Millions more are facing foreclosure. I fear that what we are calling a “Recession” as if eventually we will get back to normal, is in fact a “Correction” and The Corporate States of America has just cut out a large chunk of us saying, “We don’t need you any more as cash cows - we’re looking to China. Good luck.” For many Americans, their images have been permanently shattered and destroyed.

I do not know if I will be able to afford this log home when I retire, if I am able to retire. Perhaps I will be fortunate enough to sell for a profit if I wait long enough and move myself into a small bungalow in town and my image will alter slightly rather than catastrophically. One can hope. Peace.

5 comments:

Beartoast said...

I live with a lot of financial uncertainty myself, even though i have good job, benefits, etc. - even good job security, right now.

But sometimes I want to run away. Not a good idea.

I am getting very angry with those who have so much. Not a way i like to feel. What would Francis do?

I'm trying to trust. Sometimes it's tough. Trust.

kim b said...

Even if your reality changes later, at least you were able to live a dream, even if it was for a while. I don't mean a dream of unlimited financial resources, but one of peace in the woods and a view many pay large sums of money to have.
It is best to take one day at a time, I have found, and to treat each as a gift.
I know you have no spouse, and I wish for you to know, that I as a friend would help you any way that I could! so please have no worries about the future...worries only add to ill health!
Enjoy your view, the animal company and the BOOKS!! (my personal favorite!)
Peace to you!

Unknown said...

Cheer up, little buckaroo.

I too have a hard time with the bitter months. I live in Georgida. The landscape around your domicile is breathtaking, but leaves pause. It is unmistakable in its majesty, yet leaves a certain alone quality that is hard to shake.

I am looking a brown grass, a gray sky, whipping nor' easter winds and fog. It is not a hard time to reflect. It has always been there, but this time of year has always been a chore for me. For some reason, I know that if I can make it to April, things will start to turn around.

It is not about the weather or where I live. I have lived just about everywhere over the last 30 years and yet I always find myself clawing for a purchase in this ooze of the calendar.

I always find that there are signs that point to where it is going. This year has shown no promise, so far, but there have been signs. I am working for a company that tightened up by allowing thirty percent of the workforce to look for other opportunities. When someone complains, the standard answer is, "well, at least you have a job". When did it come down to that?

If it all becomes unbearable, pack up your shit, jump in your vehicle and take a ride down. We will go to the beach and sit and illegally drink the most amazing MaiTais on the planet. I know the guy that makes them. I you don't like OD from Rum, then I know the woman who makes the best 'rita on the planet.

We had some epic times and they are still there. It is always the small things that make the day worth while.

What ever happened to ruling the world?

RENZ said...

OMG! Kevin! So good to hear from you. I realized after posting that my tone sounded too personally bleak, when I really was thinking about all of us. Will have to find a way to see you guys for a way over due reunion.

Anonymous said...

I lost my job of the last 9 years 6 months ago.
I apply to 3-5 places every week,but still
not even one interview. Last time I lost my job
of 10 years in 2001 I had a bunch of interviews
and had only applied to a fraction of places.
Times are very tough for a lot of people. We are
loosing our homes and security. COBRA is a
joke, at $868 per month plus mortgage, how
can anyone afford it while not working and
only receiving less than 1/2 pay through
unemployment insurance? Like many, I
purshased a too large house when I was
married, now alone I dare not sell for fear of
selling for less than I owe. Something has got
to change, we all cannot continue like this forever.