Monday, January 31, 2011

I Think They May Be Trying To Kill Us

So I go to get some lunch downstairs today. This rather confused woman is on the elevator and has pushed most all of the buttons because she's not sure where she needs to go. As we work our way to the ground floor, I explain that she needs to get off on G in order to leave the building.

The doors open on Ground and as I step out of the elevator my nose begins to burn, followed by what feels like a mild asthma attack. The woman, who happened to be blonde, also starts coughing - just a little tickle like cough mind you. I can't smell anything noticeable in the air but my nose continues to burn. I glance around and it seems like every third person seems to be coughing or sneezing but no one is acting like anything is wrong.

Once in the cafeteria it seems to calm down. I get my lunch, a veggie burger, and proceed to head back upstairs. Once back in the hall, the symptoms come right back until I am safely in the elevator heading back upstairs.

Apparently someone in the kitchen attempted to dispose of a large container of cayenne pepper. I believe they placed the unopened container into some form of trash compactor which caused the cannister to "explode." I am awaiting word from my contact in dietary to verify this story.

If, however, I mysteriously sicken in the next few days, please be sure OSHA is notified, eh?

Haven't heard how the poor soul in the kitchen is fairing either. My nose and lungs are just now finally starting to calm down. Peace.

1 comment:

Doorman-Priest said...

I came out in a burning rash on Saturday for an hour for no reason. Perhaps the wind blew it over.