Sunday, September 27, 2009

Where In The World Is...

I moved to Michigan's Upper Peninsula nearly eleven years ago. I decided to move here thirteen years ago. My first experience of the U.P. was fifteen years ago. My then boyfriend of the time, Curtis, and I had an east coast vacation planned, but I broke my arm and that changed things. In the end we took a weekend trek around Lake Michigan.

We started at a family reunion in downstate Michigan - his grandmother and her children and their families - and then headed north to the Mackinac Bridge and beyond. I was simply stunned by the beauty. When you are from Illinois, rural means dairy farms in Wisconsin and soybean and corn fields in Illinois and Indiana. This was endless woods and two lane for miles with no houses or stores or towns in between. I was hooked.

My love for the land outlasted my relationship and it was not long before I was heading up here to see if it was for real or just vacation. It was for real. Two years later a job opportunity allowed me to make the big move and I've never regretted it.

I've added a blog to the list at left that has some great Upper Peninsula related posts. In particular, check out the post concerning Bill No. 4995 in the Michigan House of Representatives. Sadly we are often left off of maps of the continental United States, even official maps of Michigan, generated by bureaucrats working for the State of Michigan!

Well, today we Yoopers had our day courtesy of Liane Hansen of NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday. She dedicated her show this morning to the Upper Peninsula--its history, people, culture, etc. I hope you will take the time to listen to the various reports if you weren't listening on the radio this morning.

She goes to Babycakes Muffins, Getz's Department store (where my friend Al works), the Farmer's Market (where Seeds and Spores Farm from down the road sells their produce) -- it's all there. I was getting all misty just hearing my chosen home talked about on national radio. Even better are the comments from some of my cyber/blog/Facebook friends who reported thinking of me as they listened.

This really is a special place and I am so thankful that I found it all those years ago. If you've never been, I invite you to come for a visit. Peace.

No comments: