Saturday, September 26, 2009

Welcome To Maple Road


This is the view down my road. If you continue for about 1/4 mile, my house will be up ahead on the left. Of course, there's only two houses on Maple Road, so it's easy to find. I have finally figured out how to get the pictures from my camera/phone onto the computer.

I am enjoying working Saturdays, so that I might have three days off in a row -- two of which will always be pager free (no call on my "weekend"). Today was no exception. This would have been a very busy day in which I would have had to go in and work for a few hours, and, now due to the changes, I no longer get time and a half call back pay.

Two very brief snippets about my dogs. They know that when the clock radio starts playing it's time to get up, and as at least two and sometimes three of them are actually under the covers at that point, I really don't have much of a choice but to get up then.

This happens work days at around 7:30 AM and so amazing are the dogs that they will get restless right around that time even when I want to sleep in. We got up this morning and I ran them. They came back in and I gave them breakfast.

After breakfast they go back outside for a run around until I need to leave for work. This morning I opened the porch door and they began to trot down the stairs in single file. Right as dog number two hit the ground, we all heard a loud shotgun blast (it's bird season) and all three of them on cue simply turned around and trotted back up the stairs and inside. It was the funniest thing I have seen them do lately. There wasn't any cowed behavior or tails between the legs or anything...just "[BANG] whoa, guess we're going back inside"

Then this evening after work and after supper the dogs are outside running around in the woods. Suddenly Zoe (my Bichon) makes a break for it across the property, through the woods to the road. This wouldn't seem odd except that Zoe never cuts through the woods like that. She will run all the way back down the road to the end of the drive and then all the way up the drive before cutting through, so naturally I was puzzled.

Then I see the boys running down the road and when Zoe hits the road she cuts back and chases them. Before long all three of them are in the driveway and its clear that Cosmo has this stale hunk of bread again that they are all very interested in. I think Zoe would run through fire if food was involved.

The leaves are finally starting to turn by the house. Small bursts of yellow-green up in the maple tops that give this road its name. In a few more weeks all will be aflame with reds, oranges and yellows. This is my favorite time of year. Peace.

1 comment:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

What a great glimpse into an "ordinary" fall day at your place! Thanks for sharing it.

My dogs have been pretty frisky lately themselves, but it's mostly because the moles are running and they have been on "mole patrol" a lot. Dirty noses and, in the case of little Eddie, dirty whiskers are the uniform of the day!