Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Slowly Coming Down...

OK then...The dogs woke me up around 6:30 to go outside for their morning constitutional. I felt pretty good for the first time in days. I had slept well with only one trip to the bathroom.

Checked the blood sugar and it was down to 270! It's amazing how differently my body felt. Not only was the icky layer of fuzzy feeling gone, but my skin felt different, my thinking felt clearer, I felt reborn. That's the best that I can explain. Similar feelings are the chills I get up my back as the muscles begin to relax when the head ache is finally gone or that feeling of physical relief when the fever has broken.

Although I don't relish the thought of continued monitoring of blood sugar into the far future and accompanying shots, if that's what I need to do for now so be it. Assuming this is just a strange presentation of a new diabetes diagnosis, it is also quite likely that I will simply be put on a pill--how American.

The truly strange thing here is that I am not a big sweets/sugar eater. My one sugar vice is in my coffee in the morning. I'm not a soda drinker. I usuallydon't have cookies and candy in the house. In fact, there's uneaten organic dark chocolate bar still sitting on the dining room table from my dinner with friends on Saturday!

I am large - about twice as big as my high school graduation weight. Worse then that, however, I am the bookish equivalent of a couch potato, meaning I don't have television to stare at but I am still very sedentary. My good friend Julie who has lived with diabetes for all of her adult life is my coach through this ordeal. She wisely has recommended that I not make any changes until after I've seen the doctor and we have this figured out. My co-worker and friend, Mary Ann, was lecturing me to go out and take a walk today in comparison. Given the relationship between exercise and utilization of insulin in the body, I'm taking Julie's advice.

So the adventure continues...as always I really appreciate all the cyber hugs, cheers, prayers, etc. It's very comforting to know that there are many people out there thinking and praying over you. Peace and love to you all and then some.

3 comments:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

FWIW, I come down on Julie's side. These things are confusing enough in the doctor's office w/o a bunch of confusing last minute changes. My mother is a champ at "manipulation just prior to the doctor visit." "I've been eating healthy meals," she tells her doctor (truth = x 2 days). Of course here Hemoglobin A1C comes back and it's elevated. "Why, I think that test isn't right, Doc, because I've been eating just like you say for me to!"

You are smart (and fair to your endocrinologist) to basically change nothing except dropping the Niacin.

Joan Lucia-Treese said...

[[[[[LARRY]]]]] Prayers going up for a Dx and no shots!

David G. said...

Sugar consumption has nothing to do with Diabetes,...I could shout it out, but how many OLD LADIES wouldn't listen!!

Old Wives Tale,..like most BS people believe!!

How do I know?!?

S C I E N C E !!! Hello!!