Tuesday, June 16, 2009

OMG! My Blood Sugar is 528!!!

Well, folks, here's the story. For the past week or so I've noticed that I'd gotten incredibly thirsty all the time and, of course, going to the bathroom all the time. The past few nights I've been up at least 3 times before morning. Today at work, I was also feeling a little dizzy. Not sure if I decided to see the doc before or after I realized I drank 40+ounces of water in about 20 minutes and was still thirsty.

They set me up for an appointment tomorrow morning and then I asked if I should get some labwork done today before the appointment. Got the blood drawn just before lunch and not long after was getting a call from the doctor's office telling me to come on over pronto. In fact, they almost sent me to the Emergency Room.

My doctor is a bit stumped. All my blood sugar levels up until now have been normal. Generally folks my age who get diabetes start to have creeping in their levels and eventually the hit around 200 and they're diagnosed. To jump up rather suddenly to this level is unusual. That's why I'll be seein an endocrinologist on Thursday. In the meantime, I have a glucometer to check my levels and insulin to try and get my sugars down between 100-200.

No significant family history - one grandmother might have had borderline diabetes. I am not a big candy and sweets kind of guy despite my size. The logical and most common answer will likely be that this is still a new diabetes diagnosis. However, there are some other things it could also be and the endocrinologist should probably rule that all out with some testing. I had started a B50 complex a few weeks back and there seems to be a correlation between niacin and elevated sugars. The supplement has 50 mg of niacin which is over 3X the recommended daily amount for a man. I'll be stopping that for now.

I'm must a bit freaked and appreciated all the kind thoughts posted on Facebook. Keep me in your prayers.

5 comments:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

I'll be praying.

I'm like you, the logical answer is diabetes, but it is not presenting in a typical fashion. So keep us posted.

klady said...

Prayers from me, as well.

I never went that high but was diagnosed as pre-diabetic with insulin resistance. Of course I don't know what all may be involved in your situation, but what I found invaluable was the info about diabetes at Jenny Ruhl's website - Blood Sugar 101 (at http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/).

Kathy

RENZ said...

Thanks, Kathy, when the dust settles a bit I will check it out.

klady said...

Yes, do let the dust settle. You've been blindsided by all this and I didn't mean to overwhelm you. Take it one step at a time and remember that sudden dramatic changes in blood sugar can make you feel panicky and out of control just as a matter of physiology. Hope you're headed toward a stabilized level with this morning's drop.

Prayers continuing.

K.

RENZ said...

Kathy, thanks for all your help and advise, I look forward to more info from you once I know what I'm dealing with here. I'm doing my accuchecks/coverage on more of a 6-12-6-12 schedule since I'm not on any true coverage, just fast acting.