Thursday, August 4, 2011

Last Day

I had my follow up appointment with the doctor today to review the lab work and x-ray. The other testing was negative - no Lupus, no Rheumatoid. I have the genetic marker B27 which is consistent with the Spondylitis diseases. My brother also has this marker. My diagnosis is Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy. After two plus years of questions, I finally have a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

Prayers can continue as I now need to wean off the prednisone over the next six weeks. If all goes well, the pain will not recur and will be controlled with my new medication - methotrexate. All the swelling and moon faced crap should recede. My blood glucose should improve and I should be able to get off the mega amounts of insulin I am presently requiring. Hopefully some of the weight I've gained back will also drop off. The doctor even indicated that I may not need to remain on the methotrexate if the pain eventually goes into a remission, but that would likely be some time down the road.

Fortunately methotrexate is relatively inexpensive and has a generic version. I do not have good drug benefits even though I work in health care.

The rest of the day was wonderful. Just got back from a messy cheeseburger dinner at Outback Steakhouse. Packing up my belongings for an early start to head home in the morning. Peace.

4 comments:

annski said...

So glad to hear that you have a diagnosis, a treatment plan, and some resolution after all this time. And a big messy cheeseburger, too. Safe travels back to the UP.

Take Grave Care ~ Grave Site Maintenance said...

Hey Cuz...sorry to hear about that. I don't know about any markers (except el Marko)...but I was diagnosed with bilateral spodylolathisis (sp?) L4-5; with a Grade I Spondylosis (doing this all from memory). I was diagnosed with this back in the mid 1980's...when I was having problems with my back while I was in the Army.

I wish the very best for you: as I know how this can make you feel. My prayers are with you always. May God give you a blessing of healing...and may you be ready to receive all the many blessings that he has in store for you.

Beartoast said...

A diagnosis can bring some hope, and rooting in reality. Tough news, but good to know you can do something.
Prayers ascend.

"Sir" said...

Isn't it great to know that what you have has a name?