Saturday, January 9, 2010

Rubbing Salt In The Wound


There has been a spate of posts and comments recently on gender politics or something to that effect. I would point to a post at Mad Priest's blog in which he danced once again along a thin line between satire and facile provocation.

In a seemingly indirect response, Elizabeth Kaeton has posted a very passionate piece on what she calls The Unholy War On Women. Cyber friends of mine have also posted some very worthwhile comments, and I encourage you to peruse them all. Elizabeth et al. challenge us to make a stand against these horrible crimes - something beyond writing checks to organizations.

I find myself at a loss as to how to proceed. It's not that I disagree with her passionate cry to end the horror. However, I am not convinced that the heart of the issue is gender. In reporting on the outrages occurring in Darfur, South Africa and other places, she emphasizes the plight of women and children. I am not denying that what is occurring is without a doubt monstrous and horrible. I can't help wondering about the men.

As I read and reread her posting, the following words kept buzzing around in my head: gender, race, class, gender, race, class...which of the legs of the stool is really at the heart of the issue? Behind these words lurked an even more abstract concept: power.

We have been told that rape is not a sexual act. Rapists rarely if ever are raping to achieve purely sexual gratification. Power and anger and impotence are braided together - the violent act an expression of rage. This is the true issue occurring in the Genesis story of Sodom. Lot welcomes the messengers of God, but the others want to glory in their dominance and sodomize the strangers, humiliate them and demonstrate their power over them.

And Lot offers up his virginal daughters to the angry mob. (a bit problematic that, don't you think?)

They reject this sexual offering and turn on him as outsider as well. Rape is not about sex, it's about power.

We know the rest of the story. Although God has bargained with Abraham to spare Sodom if ten good souls can be found, only Lot, his wife, and daughters are spared. As they are fleeing down the road, Lot's wife cannot help herself and in defiance of God's order, turns back and is transformed into a pillar of salt...the last victim of Sodom. So the use of the penis as a weapon has been with us since the beginning.

Lord Acton said it well: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." What are we to do if this tendency towards violence and domination is inherent to our being? In 1998, researchers in Uganda witnessed a group of chimpanzees beating on and swaggering around another male chimp's freshly killed body. The victims windpipe, fingernails and testicles were torn out. Further research has revealed that "lethal coalitionary aggression" is part of the "normal behavioral repertoire" of the species (David Watts, Yale University).

So back to my three words - gender, race, class - if we are hardwired towards violent confrontation, and a balanced power dynamic is knocked askew, then the powerful begin to be corrupted and act out their violence on any one of the three legs of this stool. In fact, one might say that the most likely victims will be those who have all three strikes against them - the wrong class, the wrong race, and the wrong gender.

This does not always equate to poor, black women. Think of the situation in Zimbabwe. Rich, white farmers ended up being the wrong class, the wrong race, the wrong gender.

Elizabeth and her commenters have called us to action. How, I ask, do we eliminate power from humanity? That, I believe, is the source of this violence.

I am reminded of the words of Jesus regarding the poor always being with us. At first glance it may seem that I am taking that bit out of context. Yet, the woman who broke open the expensive oil to anoint Jesus was criticized because that money might have been better spent on the poor. Jesus's comment is not a denial of the plight of the poor and a justification for doing nothing. Rather he is acknowledging that there will always be the poor in need of assistance and that not doing other equally important tasks focusing solely on the poor is a futile task.

There are those who seem to take the butterfly effect to heart. In their minds, it is important to call out evidence of misogyny wherever they see, hear, or read it. They believe, they seem to have to believe, that such actions will eventually create change in the world. I admire their courage and spirit. I understand the intent.

I myself put great stock in the words of Maya Angelou who refuses to allow an individual to remain in her home if he utters a racist remark because she believes words have energy and existence and power - and she refuses to contaminate her home with that negative energy.

However, like the woman and the expensive oil, perhaps there will be times to let someone else fight the battle--to not spend all one's energy on anger in defiance of the world's misogyny. Mad Priest can be a bit of a prick sometimes, but I for one will only tilt at his windmill on occasion.

Peace.

9 comments:

Wormwood's Doxy said...

I get tired of fighting that battle, Renz. I would love to have a rest from it---but that would mean that people like you and MadPriest would have to take it up. Is it always going to be "someone else's battle"?

Pax,
Doxy

RENZ said...

I try to channel my energy where I know it will stand a chance of making a difference - I don't always succeed. Rather than spinning my wheels trying to get people to accept gays and lesbians, I try to simply get them to accept me. Perhaps that's why I can stand to post at SFIF periodically.

What good is it if a person gains the whole world but loses her soul?
(talk about a poor paraphrase but I'm tired...)

IMHO - in the end what really matters begins with you and those who immediately connect to you.

If I let myself expend too much energy worrying about people around the globe I would most definitely go completely mad.

I am often caught by how modern technology allows us the illusion of doing something - sort of the argument raging now over the bra color meme...was it completely pointless or did it achieve what it set out to achieve?

In the end, I guess I won't be taking up your battle - at least in terms of misogyny an entire continent away.

I don't believe that we effect change in measurable amounts in our day to day lives. I don't believe in the butterfly effect.

I don't believe that millions of people buying compact fluorescent bulbs, recycling, and carpooling is going to save the planet - it only will make millions of people feel good about themselves...that they are part of a movement.

However, I admire you for your spirit, Doxie, and when you stand up for a young woman in your community or when you redirect a young man who's just said something sexist and stupid - THAT is where I believe you are effecting change.

Peace.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Rather than spinning my wheels trying to get people to accept gays and lesbians, I try to simply get them to accept me.

And that is EXACTLY how battles get won (if you will pardon the military metaphor).

Minority groups (and I count women in this, even if they make up half the world) cannot change things for themselves. Members of the powerful group must first decide to grant them legitimacy. That's why it's so important for men to speak out against misogyny. You get heard long before I do.

So when you hear another person in your circle (male or female) make a misogynistic comment, if YOU say something about it, people will listen. They will listen because they know you and there is some (admittedly small) chance that they will change their behavior because of it.

Will you be labeled "humorless" or "oversensitive"? Absolutely. But you will make people have to confront their own sexism.

Personally, I think that's worth doing. I don't think it's "spinning my wheels" to fight misogyny---or to fight homophobia. I do the latter because I'm in the dominant group, and I know that people can't dismiss me as quickly since I'm clearly heterosexual and don't have a "dog in the fight," as we say down here.

when you redirect a young [person] who's just said something sexist and stupid - THAT is where I believe you are effecting change.

And that's all I'm asking anyone else to do.

I have to do this every day with my own children. You cannot believe the sexist, racist, and homophobic crap they hear at school and from their friends. (Well, maybe you can...) I spend my life trying to counter that stuff. It ain't easy and it gets tiring.

But here's the bottom line for me, Renz---it is an article of faith that I have a responsibility to fight -isms where I find them. I am a privileged, white, heterosexual, cisgendered woman. I can speak from a position of power in the realm of race, economics, and sexuality--but not in the realm of gender. I need your help for that.

At the risk of sounding like some 1960s hippie, none of us is free until we all are. And freedom begins when someone in a position of power speaks out on behalf of those without it. In the realm of gender, that would be you.

Pax,
Doxy

RENZ said...

I am so relieved - I got all neurotic about this exchange, fear that I might have angered or upset you! ::hugs::

I envision a "geocentric" view of my world - where I am the geo and the center - there are ever expanding circles emanating from me. In the good old days we only were able to see out a few rings - the further rings were hazy and out of focus and of little concern.

Now technology has complicated it all. We are able to see in great detail things that are in reality at the outer perimeter of our rings.

I choose to focus on the inner rings and cannot afford to spend too much energy on things that are occurring in the outer rings.

I think we are mostly in agreement - however, MP's little blog is not in an inner circle. He is notorious for poking with sticks like an obnoxious child (at times).

Two anecdotes to demonstrate what you espouse...

Someone made a Jeffrey Dahmer joke at work a few years back. I took them aside and explained that I understand the purpose of black humor, but that, as I was acquainted with one of his last victims, Jeremy Weinberger who was the younger brother of a friend, I really couldn't laugh along with everyone else.

A former colleague had her two sons and nephew in the car one day and one of the boys used the word "fag." Lydia very matter of factly asked if he knew what the word meant. He say "yeah, gay" - and she pointed out that her friend Larry who they had just met earlier in the day was gay - would they think it right to use that word about me? Priceless moment...

Wormwood's Doxy said...

I think we are mostly in agreement - however, MP's little blog is not in an inner circle. He is notorious for poking with sticks like an obnoxious child (at times).

I think we ARE mostly in agreement.

MP has so many good qualities, but he is a raging sexist (and yes, I know he reads here. Too bad.). He has all kinds of sympathy for gay men and even for transgendered people---but he is overtly hostile to feminists and lesbians. He's been called on it enough times that he ought to stop it---particularly since he's so proud of always being on the side of the less-powerful.

I've mostly stopped commenting over there---after he told me that he always heard me as "angry" and "aggressive" (when I simply said the same kinds of things that male commenters do all the time). I decided it wasn't worth the effort. I can't have an impact on his behavior because he doesn't really "know" me, so he doesn't care enough about my opinion of him.

But, as you have noted, we *can* change those in our physical sphere of influence. And that's the important thing. I *do* believe in the ripple effect, if not the butterfly one. And when I get my son to stop using sexist terms, or get my daughter to avoid denigrating her appearance, I'm doing something. It's not much--but teaspooning is sometimes all we have.

Cheers,
Doxy

RENZ said...

Jonathan loves to rage at his personal list of world injustices - castigating them for their abuse of power and need to control - all the while playing the little dictator in his little fantasy realm.

He is notorious for pointing out the splinter in others' eyes while ignoring the logs in his own.

He is who he is. His blog is all he has - he has indicated as such on many occasions. I worry about him - his passionate desire for a post in a church that he denigrates at every opportunity - in a public fashion for all those involved to see.

He is very much the little girl with the curl...

There was a little girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very, very good.
But when she was bad
She was horrid.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Ha! My family used to say that to me...

And you seem to have kicked up some powerful karma, young man. Today I got invited to join a "safe discussion" on race, as it affects schools in my district. A "safe" discussion hosted by a bunch of privileged white women who don't even know they are privileged and one Republican African American woman who embraces the notion of "color-blindness." (I'm happy to have all parties in a conversation, but lets not pretend that this particular group is comprehensive in its outlook...)

And I ought to know better. Even the folks who are within my "sphere of influence" on this one are mightily resistant to anything that calls them on their privilege. For whatever reason, people just don't want to see that they have any---and they are just as likely to shoot the messenger as they are to slap themselves upside the head and say "DOH! How did I miss that?!?!" ;-)

So pray for me, my friend. I'm going to need it.

Pax,
Doxy

RENZ said...

Prayers being sent your way. Perhaps the best thing you can do is listen - remember the jar of expensive oil...

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Apparently my role in life is to ask questions. ;-)