Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Celebrity-du-Jour" Enters Jerusalem

. . . . .




I truly believe that given the opportunity humans will choose to behave like sheep. On a small scale, I remember an evening at Union Station in Chicago. Our commuter train was late, hadn't even arrived yet. A few individuals would look down the track and decide to go out on the platform and a mass migration would begin. People started to follow without even thinking. I could almost hear the bleating.

I started to think about Jerusalem on this Sunday two thousand years ago. How many in the throngs of people understood who this man was and were there to greet him tearfully, eager to catch a glimpse of something they understood to be profoundly holy; and how many were there to see the latest "celebrity," along the lines of the latest American Idol winner, no real understanding, any excuse for a party.

The palm waving crowds, the masses, the great unwashed hordes... A corrupt and frightened leadership... An oppressed people yearning for something better... A Messiah figure...

How rapidly they turned on him. How like sheep...

2 comments:

Jordan Stratford+ said...

"How rapidly they turned on him. How like sheep..."

I don't think I've seen sheep turn on anyone. They're pretty, uh, sheep-like. Generally not known for their aggressive / mercurial tendencies.

RENZ said...

Yes, Jordan, I thought about that after posting...I assume you know what I meant and was merely pointing out the misguided simile. :)