Saturday, July 30, 2011

And The Adventure Begins...

I haven't blogged much this summer. Back before Memorial Day, I suffered what can only be called an auto immune crisis of some kind. I was in the Emergency Room twice with severe difficulty walking and using my hands due to escalating pain. I have been dealing with this pain on a low grade, chronic level for over two years, since just before my blood sugars went out of whack as well.

My physician was able to get me a referral to the Mayo Clinic with an expedited appointment. They would see me in 8 weeks which is much quicker than the usual 4-6 months or no referral at all (a year and a half ago they wouldn't even give me an appointment).

The time has finally come for my appointment. I will leave in the morning and head off to Rochester, Minnesota, where I will stay with my good friend Lisa who happens to work there. My actual appointment will be some time on Tuesday. I will receive a beeper at 7:30 AM and they will page me when they can squeeze me in and get me started on their intensive assessment treadmill.

I have survived the summer thus far on very large doses of prednisone which has kept the pain away and allowed me to be functional and keep working. I finally bloated up and look a bit like John Candy - all jowly and swollen - "moon faced" is the technical term for this condition from steroids. I have been fortunate in that my overall mood has been one of peace. Prednisone can really mess you up emotionally - make you act crazy - whereas I have been exceedingly calm.

I hope to post regularly from Minnesota to keep anyone who is interested informed of what is happening. Prayers will be welcome as always. Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you well know ... my prayers go with you. Hopefully this will give you some difinitive answers and get you on the road to better health. Blessings my friend.

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Will pray for you every day while you're there. Stay peaceful.

Anonymous said...

Commenting from my phone, hope it works! Praying for you. Fran

Joanna Depue said...

Oh my, Renz guy! I know the 'moon face' well, my friend - every time I have a killer flare-up of COPD my pulmo guy slaps me on pred w/nebulizer treatments. Take very good care of yourself. Will keep you on the hotline short list!

Joanna Depue said...

Oh my ... that prednisone sure has its pluses and minuses. Have to take it along w/nebulizer treatments when the COPD flares up. You'll be on my hotline short list!