Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I Just Can't Seem To Make It Through July


Well, today is July 22nd and I have officially started to wish for the change of season. It was about this time last year too. I had an awesome sauna this evening--about 200 degrees. I'm sitting here reading an Alice Munro novella in the current issue of Harpers. I have a Bartok viola concerto playing in the background. I realized that what would make me so happy would be that it was 40 degrees outside with a moderate rain beating on the roof and a fire going in the wood stove.

I can't help it. I'm not a summer person. I'm an Autumn/Winter person. Mother Nature can keep her insects and humidity and late night sunsets and too early sunrises. I'm done for another year and now will have to patiently wait while the next 6-8 weeks pass.

I'll be on my way to Chicago this weekend. My folks are hosting their annual Shell Family Picnic. I haven't been down for one yet. I'll be staying at my brother and sister-in-law's house with the dogs. Today was the first day of a week off from work.

The diabetes is still there - I REALLY was hoping it would just disappear, you know. My 14 day averages are good - at around 110. My bigger complaint is a worsening bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. The pain, weakness and numbness is becoming challenging. I saw my primary care doctor today and he believes it is related to the diabetes and sent me off to see a rehab physician. I walked through three doctors' offices today and realized that this is how it begins--the slippery slope to decrepitude.

I have this huge urge to uproot and move - I think it is simply a desire to run away and escape. Thankfully I love my house too much to do that to myself. Well, time to go back and curl up in bed with the pups and finish reading the story in the magazine.

3 comments:

David G. said...

Just to let you know,..it was 95 here yesterday,..with 85% humidity (mild humidity here), almost tolerable for a couple hours of low activity ...lol!!

Anonymous said...

Somehow I missed this post when you wrote it.

Summer is my least favorite season too. I absolutely love winter! I love the cold and snow --- it's so invigorating!!! I have always felt this way, ever since the days of ice skating at the park (was it Spring Rock Park?) and tobogganing at Bemis Woods as a kid. I love reading by the fire and drinking hot beverages (all kinds!).

As an adult, I found out I'm actually allergic to overheating (hives, etc) --- which must be why I've always felt like I couldn't breathe in the summer.
When I moved north from Colorado to north central Washington state, I thought I'd get even more of the winters I love and less of the summers, but in reality I've found that the seasons and weather are almost identical to Denver's. I guess I'll just have to go further north (I'm about 2 hours from the borders).

Hang in there. A colorful autumn is just around the corner.
Carolyn
p.s. I'm gonna have to find my username and password buried under pile of sticky-notes with other usernames and passwords on them!

gramma lee said...

Run away and escape. My thoughts as well.