Sunday, February 15, 2009

Musings On Light


I like horizontal light. Does that make any sense? Possibly not if you are an urban dweller, but perhaps if you live in a more rural setting you understand. Right now I'm sitting in my great room looking out through the windows at the trees - the windows face east and so the sun is slowly setting behind the house. There's this large stripe of light that is cutting across all the bare maple trees. The bottom third of the trees are already in late afternoon shadow. On my way home from work, Mangum Road cuts through this big open meadow, perhaps 5-10 acres lined by trees. A previous owner decades ago allowed them to run the road through his property but not the electric so the meadow is unbroken by poles and wires. On occasion the light will be just right. Low hanging dark clouds, grey sky, a big swathe of late afternoon sun running across the trees on the meadow's periphery, and the lower portion and snow in shadow. Perhaps some day I'll figure out how to paint and try to visually capture what I'm describing. I guess I have Monet to thank for teaching me about looking at light. I went to an exhibit many years ago at the Art Institute of Chicago and splurged on the audio tour. I had never understood why he did all those damn haystack paintings. This particular exhibit was the largest collection shown in one place of the haystack paintings. What I learned was that Monet was not painting the haystacks, he was painting the light. Morning light, winter light, midday summer light, rainy day light. I finally understood. The exhibit also included many of his famous water lily paintings. To the end of the exhibit you enter a gallery with enormous versions of these paintings. I actually started to weep - doesn't that sound strange? Monet was slowly going blind. The only way he could see what he was doing was to increase the scale of his paintings. I was very moved by these huge, beautiful canvases created in desperation due to fading sight, diminishing light.

A year or so ago we were having a discussion at this church gathering. One woman, a retired college professor, was sharing her struggles with her faith. She spoke of her doubt - in particular doubt over what is told in the gospels regarding Jesus' life. Because she did not completely accept what was told as "gospel," her faith felt diminished. Before you think I've taken too severe of a left turn here, my Monet experience came to me in that moment. I explained my faith to the group using the story above. For me, the New Testament stories are like the haystacks in Monet's paintings. Whether or not Jesus was actually born in a stable in Bethlehem, whether or not the miracles described occurred literally as written, the words ascribed to his parables, his death, the experiences of the resurrection...all of these are like Monet's haystacks. The point of the paintings is not the haystacks but the light. For me these bits of scripture are less important than the gospels' light - how do these stories reveal the love that is God? Don't worry about whether or not you believe these things happened, take to heart what they teach you about compassion, humanity, the Way. To me, THAT is faith. Well, now the horizontal light that triggered this has faded. Yet, it's already 6PM and still light. The light grows stronger every day. That is part of what occurs in the natural world as Lent progresses, bursting forth with the light of Spring on Easter morning. Life, spirituality, God - it works so much better as poetry, art, metaphor and emotion. Leave facts and history to Caesar. Peace.

3 comments:

Gramps Shell said...

To relate to your retired college professor, I too have my doubts or reservations about what in contained in the Bible.

God gave Moses the 10 Commandments on those tablets. (?) I can handle that being the word of God. However as to the Bible, I deal with it using a very large grain of salt.

Between lingustic translations, men deciding what is OK and what isn't, further translations, and error in copying before Mr. Guttenberg's printing machine, I think anyone who is uncomfortable with some of the stories shouldn't feel too bad.

I see Jesus standing at Joseph's side learning the craft of carpentry. I see Jesus developing blisters and callouses from his manual labor. I see him sweating, farting, experiencing cramps, hunger, thirst, and fears.

I try to guide many of my decisions by asking myself, "What would Jesus have done?"

Many of the answers I get are in conflict with some of the crap that some preachers preach.

Keep writing these wonderful and educational blogs. I didn't know that Monet went blind. I thought he went deaf ... or was that someone else???

PoP

t.l.h.heller said...

[...beethoven! just to answer that last question instead of leaving it to hang in the air like an unresolved diminished 7th :)] i saw the same monet exhibit last fall at the kimball in ft worth, and wondered at the same haystacks, then fell amazed at the different lights, and listened to the audio, and misted over at the huge canvases of pond and lilies because of his incredible grasp that exceeded his sight but not his vision...and then i read your own beautiful insight...exceptional loveliness in those thoughts on God revealed as light between the details...i read john shelby spong and share his views mostly, and thomas merton/chuang tse/'the way'... and so probably i am way way too far left of your own beauty this day, but how well blessed i am to find you! shalom my fellow traveler...

RENZ said...

Wow, thanks, Duck, I hope you will come back and visit. I have a number of Jack Spong's books, he ordained my former lesbian priest in Chicago many many years ago. Am probably not as far removed from you as u might think. Just when I think no one's listening I receive a beautiful comment like yours. Thank you, thank you.