Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Where The Wild Things Are...

Sorry for the delay in blogging again. Things have been rather hectic of late. Skittles safely arrived ten days ago. The integration plan my dad and I put together worked like a charm. After a peaceful few weeks in the suburbs of Chicago, Skittles had adjusted to the real world again and made a good friend in my folks' Airedale, Winston. In fact she had gotten so well adjusted she was starting to guard their house against workmen and squirrels. She slept most nights in bed with my folks and Winston. When they went out, she had free reign of the house and didn't get into any mischief.

On Saturday, March 19th, she traveled from Chicago to the Upper Peninsula. There is a lone official rest area on this trip just south of Green Bay. All the Shell dogs have visited this rest stop and left their offerings and so Skittles continued the tradition. Upon arrival, my dad put her on the leash and walked her around the road for a bit. Eventually we let out the other dogs so the sniffing ritual could begin. There was no tension between them at all.

During my dad's visit, she slept with him, but almost immediately I began to feed her with the other dogs. When it came time for him to head home, she handled the transition without any problems at all.

She is extremely obsessed with the cats. As I posted on Facebook the other day, I am learning that it is not so much when will Skittles get bored as when will the cats remember that they are in charge. I make sure they have ample room to escape the canine frenzy. We are making slow progress.

In the midst of all this, Frankie got rather ill. He started to vomit that Saturday night and wasn't right for a few days. By Monday night, something was clearly wrong and I brought him to the vet first thing Tuesday morning. He was very dehydrated. He ended up spending the night and the next day there. My concern was the similarity between his symptoms and Cosmo's symptoms just before he died. In the end, the vet decided that Frankie must have eaten something that has floated to the surface courtesy of the Spring snow melt. He's doing much better now.

Not long after Skittles made it to the U.P., her Olga past away in New York. To what extent she was holding on to see her safely here, we will never know. Her spirit watches over us all now and I'm sure she approves. Peace.

6 comments:

Fran said...

Olga was very happy to hear of Skittles arrival at your home. That was one of a few last pieces that needed to drop into place.

Seeing Skittles makes me smile and tear up at once. I see her purple collar, bought for her long ago by Mark and Erica and I get a bit weepy.

In my heart I know how wonderful it is for her to be there. Like Olga, we will miss her but know that she is in the best place. And maybe we will get to visit one day, I know that I would love that.

Thanks for your opening the door for this to happen and for opening your heart so very beautifully and widely.

Jane R said...

Oh, Larry (and Fran), how beautiful this whole journey is. And I love the picture of Skittles on the road! Such good doggie energy, too. I am so happy Skittles has a home with your generous self and with the four-legged members of your household.

SimplySuzi said...

What a touching journey Skittles has had, and what a beautiful thing it is that she is in her forever home.

Gramps Shell said...

Many have commented in a positive way about how we did this and that for this wonderful dog. Let me take a moment to speak to the things Skit has done for us. For many years, Lee and I have been a two dog family. Since Tristan passed, and Winston came to live with us he's been the only one. With Skit, it's been like having a new baby. I cannot express the joy we experienced each time she grew in experience. Learning to play with another dog, learning to chase squirrels, or barking at neighbor dogs in defense of "our turf" made our hearts swell with "parental pride." The one thing we couldn't teach her was how to give her love to humans. Olga did that. We miss her but will see her again when next we visit "da Nort Voods."

June Butler said...

What a lovely ending to a wonderful story. I know I'm late to comment, but you know what they say - better late....

I wish you and your family great days ahead, Renz.

Jan said...

The picture and your words end this beautifully. (sorry that I am even later than GM)